- 1st generation – e-Cigs that look like cigarettes.
- 14500/14650/18350/18500/18650 – batteries sizes for 3rd generation mods where the first two digits indicate the diameter and the last three digits indicate the height, in mm.
- 2nd generation – devices like eGo batteries and Evods.
- 3rd generation – large battery devices and atomisers.
- 510 – refers to the threading between the atomiser and the battery/mod.
- AAEC – AAEC is a UK online forum.
- All day vape – people will refer to their favourite liquids as ADVs, the ones they will happily vape all day.
- Analogue – the tobacco cigarette.
- ASH UK – an anti-smoking organisation that fully supports vaping and conducts annual research that supports this stance.
- Atomiser/atty – the part the juice is stored in and has an element that heats the liquid.
- Clives Bates – leading pro-vaping campaigner.
- Battery – a rechargeable lithium ion battery.
- Cartridge – a plastic tube-like piece that is usually stuffed with some sort of absorbent filler material that holds the juice.
- Cartomiser /carto – a cartridge that houses an atomiser.
- Charger – a battery charger. *Never leave it unattended and make sure it is being used correctly.
- Drip Tip – replaceable mouthpiece fro the atty.
- Dripping/Dripper – basic atty where the liquid is dripped directly onto the wick and gives a more intense flavour.
- ECCA – the organisation for UK consumers.
- eGo - a style of electronic cigarette that utilizes the 510 threads and allows one to use 510 components but with a much larger battery.
- Electronic Cigarette/e-Cig – the name traditionally given to personal vaping devices.
- e-Liquid/e-Juice/juice/liquid – the flavoured liquid that is vaporised.
- Doctor Konstantinos Farsalinos – one of the world’s foremost researchers into e-Cigs.
- FDA - abbreviation for the United States Food and Drug Administration.
- Filler /filler material - material placed inside of a Cartridge that is absorbent.
- Professor Glantz – the leading anti-vaping campaigner, funded by pharmaceutical companies.
- Genisis – often spelt as genesis, has a tank and wicks usually made from stainless mesh or rope. Used by more advanced vapers as it is difficult to master but provides a better quality of vape.
- LED - Light Emitting Diode.
- Low resistance – an atomiser or cartomiser with a lower ohm rating than the standard equipment.
- Milliamp hours/mAh – the measure of how long a battery will last in use.
- Milligrams/mg – the amount of nicotine found in a juice.
- Millilitres/mL – the amount of liquid in a container.
- Mod – generally refers to 3rd Gen large battery tubes.
- MRHA – the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency who rely on people paying for licences and advocated that all vaping devices were classified as medicines – thereby requiring licences.
- Ohm - a measure of electrical resistance.
- Ohm’s Law – V=I.R is the equation allowing people to calculate how much current is flowing through the coil as different batteries can handle different amounts.
- Passthrough – a device that can plug directly into the USB port of a computer or charger and allows the user to vape without having to worry about battery life.
- Personal vaporiser/PV – alternative to “e-Cigs”
- PG – Propylene Glycol.
- POTV – Planet of the Vapes is a UK online forum for vapers
- RBA – rebuildable atomiser
- RDA – rebuildable dripping atomiser
- RTA – rebuildable tank atomiser
- Starter Kit – a kit that includes basic e-cigarette equipment.
- Sub-ohm – a coil that has a resistance of less than 1Ω. Something you should only do after research and with a good understanding of Ohms Law.
- Throat hit - the feeling at the back of the throat when vaping.
- TPD – the Tobacco Products Directive.
- UKV – UK Vapers is a UK online forum for vapers.
- Variable voltage/wattage (VV/VW) – a mod that allows the user to adjust the voltage or power supplied to the coil.
- VG– vegetable glycerol.
- Venting – when batteries go bad! It can result in a battery releasing noxious gases or exploding.
- VTTV – Vapourtrails TV is a UK-based vaping channel
- Professor Robert West - professor of Health Psychology and Director of Tobacco Studies and a leading campaigner for vaping.
- WHO – The World Health Organisation